Here are some VERY IMPORTANT things to do in order to ensure a successful newborn session.
After 10 years experience and having photographed over 500 newborns I can honestly say these instructions REALLY make our session go as smooth as possible which equals amazing images for you! So please follow these steps as much as you possibly can!
1. KEEP BABY AWAKE!: Please do your best to keep your baby AWAKE for 2-3 hours before your session. This is VERY important. We know this is hard, but please try. Without this, we spend too much time getting them to sleep and not as much time photographing them. If you need to give the baby a bath to help keep them awake or get them naked, those are some tricks to use. If need be, use a cold washcloth (intermittently. not too much of course!) on his/her feet to help keep awake. We will get amazing images if your baby sleeps through the session.
2. MUST BRING: Please bring a bottle of formula or breast milk to the session along with a pacifier. We understand that many mothers are trying to avoid a pacifier during this critical time of learning to breastfeed, however, we may need to use it if absolutely necessary- this really helps us. The reason is to avoid contact with mommy as much as possible while we are in the “rhythm” of a session. Baby can smell mom and hear her voice and this triggers their instinct to feed. It can be quite a distraction for a little newborn. Using a bottle or pacifier when needed helps us to maintain the fluidity of the session and helps baby settle easier. If you are adamantly against a pacifier or bottle, please let us know and we will accommodate your needs ofcourse, but please remember it’s only for 2 hours and using the pacifier will help us to create the best photographs we possibly can.
3. DO NOT CIRCUMCISE your baby boy before your session. We will be wrapping him tightly while naked and moving him between different poses which can be extremely painful with a raw circumcision. We WILL NOT photograph a newborn boy who has been circumcised less than 5 days prior to the session.
4. AVOID SPICY/GASSY FOODS: If you are breast-feeding, try to avoid eating anything spicy or gas inducing (i.e. pizza, spicy sauces, garlic, broccoli, thai food, high fat etc.) that might upset baby’s tummy for 24 hours preceding your scheduled session. It’s best to stick to a relatively bland diet the 24 hours before your session.
5. You will be feeding your baby a FULL feeding when you arrive at the studio, so please schedule your baby’s day accordingly for this.
6. Dress baby in loose fitting clothes to avoid any lines on skin – A onesie that opens (snaps) in the front is best, as this avoids us having to lift anything tight over baby’s head.
7. WARM STUDIO: The studio will be heated intensely (75-80 degrees) to keep your little one warm, so mom and dad- dress in layers so that you can remove some if you get too warm.
8. During the session, take advantage of this time to rest as Katina and her assistant don’t need any help. There is a sofa at the studio, so feel free to take a nap!
9. We have a fully equipped nursery area at our studio. It is supplied with diapers, wipes, changing station, Boppy Pillow, snacks, drinks, coffee maker, hairbrush, hair products, makeup etc. So please know you will be cared for with great attention to detail when you come to see us! So if you forget anything, do not worry. Chances are, we have it.
10.Please leave baby in their car seat when you bring him/her into the studio.
11. Newborn sessions generally take 2 hours, so please plan for that.
12. SIBLINGS: If there are older siblings that will be included in photos, those images will be photographed at the start of the session. We suggest either bringing two cars so that Dad can take older sibling(s) back home after we finish with family images, or have your spouse/ partner take older sibling(s) out on errands or to grab a snack while we complete the session.
13. We recommend bringing no more than yourself, your spouse/partner, children and one guest if necessary. Lots of people in the studio make for somewhat challenging creative conditions and it’s tight in our cozy space.
14. NO CAMERAS are allowed during your session. We understand this is a momentous time in your life that you want to capture. However, we are working very hard to create unique, artistic images for you and another camera in our midst is distracting and uncomfortable for the artist and her assistant. Please respect copyright and the artist’s individual creation and do not take pictures during your session.